Thursday, December 24, 2009

Movie Night!


Title: Chicago
Release Year: 2002
Famous Names: Renee Zellweger, Queen Latifah, Richard Gere, Catherine Zeta-Jones
Buy it. Rent it. Skip it.

Summary: Murderesses Velma Kelly (a chanteuse and tease who killed her husband and sister after finding them in bed together) and Roxie Hart (who killed her boyfriend when she discovered he wasn't going to make her a star) find themselves on death row together and fight for the fame that will keep them from the gallows in 1920s Chicago.

My Two Cents: Chicago is the perfect vaudville 1920's film for me. It's dark, sexy, and basically has some of the best jazz numbers I've ever seen in a musical. I am such a fan of musicals! I haven't seen many, but I'm hooked. I actually don't know why I watch so few of them...

Anyway, I thought Chicago would be a bit to raunchy for my taste, but it was totally spot on! Plus Catherine Zeta-Jones absolutely stole the show. John C. Reilly was also great in a role other than fat, lowely single guy. His rendition of Mr. Cellophane was sooooooo brilliant. Richard Gere was awesome too, but I'd always thought of him as an old man, so I guess that took away some of his shine in my eyes.

I definitely would restrict this viewing party to over 13 only. It was fairly graphic in a lot of the scenes, but what else would you expect from a vaudeville?

I've got to say, my absolue favorite part was the Cellblock Tango. 5 girls from my high school performed it for the end of the year solo and ensemble choir show. I watched the movie like 2 hours ago, and it is STILL stuck in my head.


Enjoy my lovelies!

1 comment:

Imogen said...

Same I love cell block tango. This is such a great film!